Please, remember me, happily, by the rosebush laughing.

My photo
Florence, Alabama, United States
Dancing in both directions at once so everyone won't notice that she's never heard this song before.

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Something good this way comes...

So, since I started working at the Goodwill, I've been flirting mightily with this guy named Daniel. Daniel is from El Salvador, as are several of my co-workers. He knows a handful of English words, mostly work related-- "sweep," "lunch," "time to clock out and go home"-- although this has not stopped us from flirting on and off as he pieces together bits of broken furniture and I price my tattered books. My Spanish is a combination of over-cheer and misplaced accents, so this has mostly been an adventure in body language.

He bought me lunch last week. Chinese food. How very cultural.

So we stumble through our conversations, and I realize how very many Spanish words I am able to slaughter, and how useless my limited vocabulary is. I point to things, to the shoes on the shelves or the covers of my books, and I struggle with the foreign syllables-- "libros!" "caballo!" "zapatos!"

I made it my goal to touch him this week. I didn't realize how few times we make physical contact with co-workers until I made a conscious effort to nudge his shoulder or brush his hand. There aren't near enough excuses to touch one another these days.

This afternoon, my hands were so cold, all day, despite high temperatures outside. Fantastic, cold hands, what a perfect avenue to engage in some casual contact. The thought crosses my mind and I start to smile and heat washes over me and my fingers are no longer cold. Damn! Now what?

The freezer! Aha!

And unguarded moment in the staff kitchen...

"Daniel! My hands! Muy frío!..."

Mission accomplished.

No comments: